The photographic studio of C.J.L. Vermeulen
The dance studio was originally a photo studio of the well-known Dutch photographer C.J.L. Vermeulen.
In the second half of the 19th century, C.J.L. Vermeulen owned 5 photographic studios: in Amsterdam, Utrecht, Rotterdam and The Hague at the Toussaintkade.
The first studio was located at No. 11 and later on Toussaintkade No. 20, where Studio Simoncini is now located.
The building where the balletschool is located was built in 1893, the first stone was laid by Bram and David Vermeulen.
During the crisis years around 1933-34, the only remaining photo shop on the Toussainkade of the Vermeulen family was taken over by Antonius Gerardus Weiler (1886 – 1987). He was the first “servant” at Mr Vermeulen and married his daughter Grietje Vermeulen.
In 1970 the Simoncini family moved into the building on the Toussaintkade. The photo studio was equipped with a barre and mirrors and is still in its original condition to this day. The large windows, the soft green colors and the nostalgic wooden floor give the studio a special romantic and warm atmosphere.
Professor dr. A.G. Weiler
Mirella received the above information during a cherished conversation in August 2019 with Professor Dr. A.G. (Ton) Weiler (1927-2021)
In this conversation, Mr. Weiler shared with Mirella his memories of the photo studio/ballet studio and of the small attic where he and his brother had hidden during the Second World War.